Welcome to the Grimdark Compendium’s Dark Angels Course, Secrets of the First Legion! This deep dive into the legendary Dark Angels faction of Warhammer 40k will cover every aspect of the modeling and painting of the secretive Space Marines Chapter. From a reimagined building/kit-bashing philosophy, insights into the grimdark aspects, basing design, immersive narrative for each character, to painting tutorials for several custom models from the Inner Circle of the most dangerous hunters in the galaxy, this series will leave you with a deep knowledge of how to build and paint your own custom Dark Angels!
In this course, I explain everything you need to know to set up your miniatures up for a unique kit-bashing approach that truly captures the grim aesthetic that the Dark Angels should have and how to paint the First Legion in the grimdark style. This will get you ready for what’s to come, and explain why and how to build and paint fantastically grim miniatures.
Free Videos – Part 1
Skill Level: Advanced
Number of Videos: TBD but several
2. Building/Kit-bashing Guides 1
3. Building/Kit-bashing Guides 2
4. Greenwing Painting Guide 1
5. Greenwing Painting Guide 2
6. Interrogator Chaplin Build Guide
7. Interrogator Chaplin Painting Guide
8. Basing Build Guides
9. Basing Painting Guides
Premium Videos: Parts 2 -9
Click on the headers below to find the recommended materials used in this course.
Some items may be a bit difficult to find, but a little internet searching usually finds you everything you’ll need.
- Vallejo Black Mud Thick
- Pro Acryl: Ivory, Dark Golden Brown, Bold Pyrrole Red, Turquoise
- Citadel Colors: Kabalite Green
- Greenstuff World: Gold Chrome, Chrome
Acrylic Inks and Washes
- Vallejo: Sepia Ink, Black Ink
- Citadel Shades: Coelia Greenshade, Nuln Oil
- AK Interactive Ultra Matt Varnish
- Alclad aqua Gloss
Weathering Enamels and Washes
- AK Streaking Grime
- AK Neutral Grey Wash
- AK Dark Brown Wash
Any brand will do but I highly suggest Abteilung502
- Light Flesh Tone
- Warm Red
Again, any brand is good. I use AK Interactive, Abteilung502 and Vallejo.
- Red Ochre
Various Tools and Solvents
- Hobby knife
- Plastic cement glue
- Odorless artist white spirit
- Half-centimeter cork boards
- Q-tips / cotton buds
- Green Stuff
- Silicone brushes
- PVA Glue
- Deer Hide Untanned
- Jewelers Chain
- Copper Wiring (various sizes)
- Squirrel Fur
- Phone Cables
- Foam board
- DAS clay
- Texture roller
- Balsa wood
- Flat Saw
- Hot-glue gun
- Two bundles of cheap brushes, one for acrylics, one for oils. Sizes vary from 00 to 3 and 5, with a point, and flat ones. Also some old, scruffy, beaten-up brushes for various uses.
- Respirator with interchangeable cotton filters
- Nitrile gloves
- Protective Glasses
When will the rest of these be out?
Dropping 2 videos per month. So the next video will be out near the end of April.