Greetings from the dank pit that has become the Grimdark Compendium Studio! The sweltering heat and abundant rains of the summer then paired with the drafty nature of my basement studio has given our little painting laboratory an… outdoorsy aesthetic. So, I am utterly doomed to share my studio with an abundance of spiders and other creepy crawlers that skulk about in the dark. I can’t help but feel like I am trapped in some sort of low fantasy nightmare crypt, toiling ceaselessly to bring you the grimdark gospel. Suiting. Especially for this month’s painting challenge!
For September’s painting challenge, I would like to see your iteration of low-fantasy Dungeon Crawling Heroes, Villains, or Monsters!
Official Rules Summary
- Post one WIP and one Final image ( no smaller than 1080×1080 pixel) of any miniature or miniature terrain that has been built and painted by your own hand.
- Miniature must have a painted finished base to be considered for judging.
- Use #gdcdungeon and mention @grimdark_compendium in the description.
- Kit-bashing is welcomed but not mandatory. Please explore your kit-bashing skills!
- Models must be modeled painted in the grimdark style.
- Eligible miniatures – Any brand of miniature bits may be used in the building portion of this challenge, including figures outside of Games Workshop’s product line, including 3d printed miniatures.
- Submissions must include a clear and well-lit photo.
- All submissions must be posted by September 23rd, 2023. Email high-resolution images of your final submissions to email@example.com to guarantee your submission is considered.
- By entering this challenge you agree to allow the Grimdark Compendium and our affiliates to use your images in social media posts and video content related to the Grimdark challenges.
- Have fun, spread the word, push yourself, and encourage others!
This challenge is open to anyone who has painted in the grimdark style and is intended for everyone in the hobby. In short, the grimdark painting style seeks to recreate the terrifying reality of dark and dystopian worlds that have suffered from perpetual war and nightmarish hardships. We will look for things like surface finish variations, grimdark modeling aesthetics, battle damage, chipping, rust, grime, blood, skulls, muted color palettes, high contrast lighting, OSL, decay effects, etc…
Submitting an Entry – READ CAREFULLY
Entering the competition can be done by posting a WIP image showing the early stages of your project. The entry WIP must contain #gdcdungeon and the @grimdark_compendium must be mentioned in the description. Participants shall be limited to one entry per challenge. All entries should be posted to either Instagram, Facebook, or the Grimdark Community Facebook group using the #gdcdungeon hashtag before or on the 23rd of September 2023. Any other WIP images and the Final images must be hashtagged appropriately and appropriately mentioned. Again, it is HIGHLY recommended to email high-resolution images to firstname.lastname@example.org
The first-place entry will win a care package of resin miniatures and bits from our friends at Rotten Factory along with other *goodies*, a three month premium access membership to the Grimdark Compendium, an artist spotlight on the Compendium, and be featured on the Grimdark Compendium’s Social media accounts.
*goodies* – Boxes of miniatures, paints, magazines, or other prize support from our partners.
The top Grim Fantasy Dungeon Crawlers Challenge entries will judged by the community using a voting system.