The Grimdark Challenge for the month of September will be a little different this time and even has a prize for the winner! I want to get to know you guys and I want the community to get to know one another a little more too. So this month we will all be putting together a collage of our journey as artists into the miniature painting space and particularly how we found ourselves painting the grimdark style! Check out the rules, how to participate, and the prize for this challenge below. This should be a fun and easy challenge so make sure to share it with your friends and get them involved!
Official Rules Summary
- Post one (1000×1000 pixel) collage consisting of six images that shows your journey into miniature painting and the grimdark style.
- The first image should show a piece of art, of any kind, that you created before you started painting miniatures.
- The second image should show the first miniature you ever painted.
- The third image should show the first miniature you painted in the grimdark style.
- The fourth image should show the most recent miniature you painted in the grimdark style.
- The fifth image should show your favorite work that you painted in the grimdark style.
- And finally, the sixth image will be the work of another artist, an artist you are inspired by.
- To accompany this collage, write a brief description that talks about your time as a miniature artist.
- Post your collage and description to Instagram, Facebook or the Grimdark Community Facebook Group using #grimdarkchallengejttd to join the challenge.
- All submissions must be posted by September 30th, 2022. It is highly recommended to email your final submissions to email@example.com to guarantee your submission is considered.
- Eligible miniatures – Any brand of miniature maybe used in this challenge, including figures outside of Games Workshop’s product line.
- Submissions must include a clear and well lit photo.
- Have fun, spread the word, push yourself, and encourage others!
This challenge is open to anyone who has painted in the grimdark style and is intended for everyone in the hobby. In short, the grimdark painting style seeks to recreate the terrifying reality of dark and dystopian worlds that have suffered from perpetual war and nightmarish hardships. We will look for things like battle damage, chipping, rust, grime, blood, skulls, muted color palettes, high contrast lighting, OSL, decay effects etc…
There are no limitations to what models can be used for this challenge.
Submitting an Entry – READ CAREFULLY
An entry shall consist of a single 1000×1000 pixel collage containing six images. The format of the collage should be three rows of two equally sized images. The top left image should be first in the order of images. The remaining images should then be ordered from left to right. Top row first, middle row second, third row last (Example provided below.) Each of the six images should match criteria listed above in the Official Rules Summary and be properly ordered. Each image must be well lit, properly framed, and readable. I recommend using the App called “Layout” to create your collage. Participants shall be limited to one entry per challenge. All entries should be posted to either Instagram, Facebook, or the Grimdark Community Facebook group using the #GrimdarkChallengejttd hashtag before or on the 30th of September 2022. Again it is recommend to email final entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Judging Criteria and point values may differ between each challenge. The winner will be selected by Zatcaskagoon from the Grimdark Compendium and guest judges invited to participate based up on the following: Judging for this challenge will be primarily determined by images two, three, four, and five of your collage.
- Grimdark painting skill (1-50 points) – How well the painted miniature represents a character, vehicle, or monster that is derived from a dark-dystopian and war ravaged world. Proficiency with mottling, weathering, and distressing techniques. As well as realistic surface variations or realistic effects.
- Marked Improvement (1-50 points) How well you have improved as a miniature painter and how well you have embraced the grimdark style.
Example of proper image size, framing and lighting:
This month’s prize will be two 1-hour coaching sessions with Zatcaskagoon.